Creating a First Aid Kit for your home is important for handling minor injuries, and being prepared for potential emergency situations. First Aid kits can be comprised of a variety of different items and will differ depending on your family situation and any special needs. But here is a general list of what your First Aid Kit at home should have, according to the Red Cross.
Items to Include in First Aid Kit
General items that all First Aid kits should have to suit a family of four:
- 2 absorbent compress dressings (5 x 9 inches)
- 25 adhesive bandages (assorted sizes)
- 1 adhesive cloth tape (10 yards x 1 inch)
- 5 antibiotic ointment packets (approximately 1 gram)
- 5 antiseptic wipe packets
- 2 packets of aspirin (81 mg each)
- 1 blanket (space blanket)
- 1 breathing barrier (with one-way valve)
- 1 instant cold compress
- 2 pair of non-latex gloves (size: large)
- 2 hydrocortisone ointment packets (approximately 1 gram each)
- 1 roller bandage (3 inches wide)
- 1 roller bandage (4 inches wide)
- 5 sterile gauze pads (3 x 3 inches)
- 5 sterile gauze pads (4 x 4 inches)
- Oral thermometer (non-mercury/non-glass)
- 2 triangular bandages
Include Personal Medication
In addition to the basic items, it’s also important to personalize your kit according to your individual needs. If you or a family member have allergies, then having an Epipen and anti-histamines is essential. Include any emergency medications that are required, along with contact information for emergency purposes.
In addition to your personal needs, don’t forget about your furry loved ones! If you have a dog, think about some items to have on hand, such as booties to protect their feet, disinfectant for wounds such as Betadine, a dry towel, nail clippers, and contact info for local vet clinics.
Monitor your First Aid Kit
Once you create your First Aid Kit, you can store one at home and even one for your car. But be sure to take a peek inside every 6 months or more to monitor what might be in need of a refill, as well as what might be expired.
Having a well-stocked First Aid Kit at home is important. It can provide you with the essential items that you need if an emergency situation ever arises. Give yourself that extra peace of mind by creating your own kit to help keep both you and your family safe at home.